Monday, June 23, 2008

Rambling thoughts

I just read a book by Francine Rivers called "Redeeming Love". Wow....that was awesome. It's about a prostitute who is saved by a farmer who is a very devout Christian. It's set in the mid 1800's. That's all I'll tell you about the plot. Check it out sometime.

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to live back then?? I've been thinking about it lately and this book really made me think. They had to do everything for themselves. Walking a couple of miles for them was nothing. To me that is a chore. Living off the land, having only a couple sets of clothes, having a very few close friends, having very little and not living in a large house. Ok so that doesn't sound very appealling or does it??? Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if we just went back to the basics. No tv, no internet, no phone...yes it would be hard and you're right I wouldn't make it a day.

"B", I know you are laughing at me right now!!!!!

So I think we are going to do a small garden next year so if anyone has any pointers send it my way.

I think about how much is in my closet and as I go through it to get rid of things I think...oh...I might wear this sometime. But will I really? I need to just go through it and pick out my favorite things and just wear them all the time. Who needs a ton of different clothes and who does it matter to if I wear the same things every week. I do laundry every other day anyway. It's weird not working and not having to pick out work clothes but I sure have enjoyed being able to go casual.

I want to start decluttering but that is so hard to do sometimes. I always think of ways to use things later....but do I ever use them later....usually not.

Can you tell I'm getting ready for a yard sale!!!

Yard sale tip....price as you are going through things so all you have to do is lay them out the week of. Have I done that yet....NO!!!! I mean well but can't quite get there.

This weekend was fun. We went to my parents house and to see some friends that just moved back to the state. We also got to see my brother....for all of 15 mins. That's good for him this time of the year. He was feeding my kids lies....telling him that I was mean to him when we were little....ok so maybe I was a little.

Funny story....It was my freshman or sophmore yr of college and me and a friend were staying at my parents for the weekend. I went into my brothers room about midnight or so to get a blanket. Well he wasn't there and the window was wide open with the screen off. Needless to say the worry wart in me thought he either snuck out or was abducted....so yes I told my parents. I haven't lived that one down.

My kids think that my brother is so mean b/c I told them that he hurt my knee. I have a big scar on my knee from having warts removed. When he was probably 10 or so. He put his soccer or baseball cleats on my knee which had a wart and proceeded to scrap my knee causing the wart to spread. So I tried to have them removed several times and they would keep coming back until about 10 years ago. I finally found someone that removed them and blamed my brother for my wound. So Mean Uncle "B' really isn't mean.

Enough rambling for now. I'm ready to go clean out my closet....hopefully I won't lose the motivation before tomorrow.

5 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Redeeming Love is one of my all-time favorite books! Isn't it good?

Over the years, I have really become a minimalist. You'd probably laugh at my closet because it is SO basic. I've always been good at de-cluttering though, and living in a tiny house forces me to constantly go through our things and purge what we don't need.

Funny stories about your brother. Sounds like you have a fun relationship!

Happy closet-cleaning.

Mer

Becky said...

Good visit yesterday just not long enough. We have really got to talk about books more often.

Redeeming Love is on my top 5 list. I LOVE it! Great book about forgiveness and unconditional love!

Glo said...

No surprise to you Steph, but I am the same way about not being able to get rid of clothes thinking that I will eventually wear them someday.LOL It was hard to get rid of some of my clothes for the yard sale I had, but some of it was not as hard because I grew out of them.LOL It's hard to get of inches when you are almost 40!!! :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Stephanie...

Guess what??? You won my book giveaway! I'll get it mailed tomoroww or Wednesday! Congrats!

Meredith

Amber said...

Isn't that the book based on Hosea? My mother-in-law read it and told me it was really great. I'm going to have to check that book out. Glad you recommended it, too.

My closet is ridiculous. I only wear the stuff in one quarter of it. Need to get rid of the rest. Just can't seem to do it though. I need to go on one of the shows where they do it for you!!!!! Good for you if you can get yours cleaned out!!