Sunday, January 4, 2009

I'm An American Frugal Housewife


I just love Joanne. She has the most encouraging post. After reading Meredith's post and joining the band wagon I read this post from Joanne about ECONOMY. I've never really thought about ECONOMY in the scense of her post but she really clarified a lot of things. I've always thought of the ECONOMY as well just that the ECONOMY...not how we spend our time and resources and spending them wisely. This also can be put into practice in our households.

What does this mean for me?
**More time with God- I thought when I quit work 6 months ago this would be one of the things that I would make priority. Well to be quite honest I haven't. While I'm being honest, I might as well say that it has gotten a lot worse. God has given me a good life and I haven't given him the time of day lately, so my focus has to change. One thing I wanted to do was pray over my calendar and list for the day first thing every morning. I heard that once at a conference and definitely see how that God wants us to do that and we will be putting him in ever aspect of our lives.

**Focus more on cleaning and organizing of our HOME-Home is supposed to be a place of contentment and relaxation. Well I haven't done so good on that part for my wonderful husband. He has made so many sacrifices for me and works so hard for us and I'm not living up to my part of the bargain. The house is not a place of contentment and relaxation for him because I do not get the things done that make him relax and enjoy his time at home. I'm going to try my hardest to change that.

**I'm going to try to curb spending this year-Couponing and ad shopping will become more of a focus for me. See this post for more about this.

**I'm also going to try and use the resources I have on hand more wisely. I've got shelves of food, paper, ribbon, fabric, etc. I need to use all that I have before buying more. That will mean going through cabinets before I go shopping. I'm also going to try and make most of my gifts this year. Those to me are the most special gifts anyway. I got a pillow for our wedding and a blanket for the birth of our first child, the blanket is beautiful...well the pillow not so much but I still have it and won't get rid of it because Mrs. L gave it to us and she was so special to us. My husband wanted to get rid of it and I told him no and why and he understood completely.

**I'm also going to try and do more ebay selling and consignment selling this year when I go through my kids cloths and other household items.

**I'm going to focus more on sewing for my daughter than my business. If people want things great, but my daughters wardrobe will be by me. Check out my other blog to see what all I make.

**Time is of the essence and I will try and use it to the fullest to please and spend more time with God and my family and friends.

Thanks Joanne for the encouragement!

By the way...I really think it would do our government some good to think about ECONOMY in this way and be more resourceful instead of throwing things away!!!!

4 comments:

Amber said...

You can do it, Steph!!!

I'm going to jump on this bandwagon with you....we've got to hold eachother accountable!!!

Deal?

Stephanie Kay said...

You can do it! I've got to work on housekeeping and time with God also. I've slacked off in a big way since the baby was born and it's not a good thing. But, the inlaws leave Tuesday morning and I'm going to whip this place back in order. = ) Maybe whip is a strong word. Begin the process of getting in order? = )

Unknown said...

I will have to look at the posts you referenced, it all sounds GREAT to me. I've been feeling convicted to be a better HOME-maker this next year. Like you said, my hubby works hard so that I can be home with our baby. I need to do a better job.

PS. glad you find my blog & that I found yours. =)

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Thanks for all the love, Stephanie! Love you right back!

Joanne